Best Composite Toe Work Boot
Whenever there is a tough job at hand, and you need the proper protection for your feet people will more often than not, turn to steel toe boots. Can you blame them? Nothing protects as well as steel toed boots right? Technology is advancing rapidly these days and the same can be said for new designs to work boots. New composite materials are being used that sometimes even offer up more protection than a steel toe and can be much lighter and far more durable. Some Police Officers and even Firefighters are making the switch to the best composite toe work boots due to their agility and less weight to lug around for long shift work.
Composite toes may not always be stronger than steel toe boots, that being said there are many advantages to them as well and can be surprisingly handy. Travelling through airports you will not have to worry about setting off any metal detectors making it quick and easy to pass through security. If you are work in environments with electricity the composite toe is great as it does not conduct electricity or heat for that matter making these a safe and comfortable option.
Finally one of the best characteristics of the new composite toe in work boots is the weight. Composite toe work boots are lighter, much lighter. Long hard days of constantly moving can be very tiresome. Being lighter on your feet can make all the difference to having more strength and endurance throughout the day and steel toe work boots will not do this for you. Plain and simple, if you use composite toe work boots, you will expend less energy and last longer.
What to look for...
When looking to purchase a pair of composite toe work boots, you need to put a few things into consideration when deciding what it is you need and or want. Here are three very important things that your composite toe boot should posses before you go any further.
1. Type of Composite Toe - Composite toes can be constructed of many different types of materials. Fiberglass, Kevlar, plastic or even carbon fibre are just a few to start. Because these boots do not contain any metal in the toe, it makes for a much more comfortable fit, allowing you to last longer on your feet. As for which type of toe is better than the other, is up for debate. Fibreglass and Kevlar have been popular originally, lately however there has been a movement towards carbon fibre, due to the lightness and strength of the material itself.
2. Support - Composite toe work boots are great alternatives to steel toe boots and you should be able to move freely with them on your feet. Stiffness will aggravate your body and cause injuries which no one can afford these days. Depending on what you are doing, certain work environments call for an assortment of strange movements that you would not have anticipated. The best way to test this is by getting a feel for the boot in the store, or, if you are shopping online, take a look at what other customers have to say about the flexibility of the boot.
3. Durability - When working in certain areas, there can be several surfaces, terrains and even chemicals that can affect your ability to work and the wear and tear on your boots. Conditions such as these can be exceptionally hard on any work gear. From falling objects, chemical spills or simple elemental shifts, your work boots should be able to hold their own against these factors that would predate on a weaker shoe. If you are not careful, you will find yourself returning to the work store constantly replacing your boots. Make sure you take the time to find out the quality of the composite toe itself and the boot, this way you can save yourself some money and time in the long run.
Composite Toe Boot
Here are the editor's top 5 choices for the Best Composite Toe Work Boots...
1. Danner Men’s Super Rain Forest 200 Gram Work Boot
Featuring a excellent safety toe made with high quality fiberglass, the Danner Men’s Super Rain Forest 200 Gram Work Boot is well built, triple seemed with top notch leather stitched together with a Gore Tex lining. Due to the almost non-existent break in period, as well as the astonishingly comfortable feel, these boots have been very popular for the past twenty years.
Danner has always been a popular choice and for good reason. It is simple, with Danner you get what you pay for - High Quality. These boots will last a very long time, sometimes up to 6 years depending on the usage. You will pay a pretty penny for these boots but remember you will be able to rely on the Danner Men’s Super Rain Forest 200 Gram Work Boot.
2. Timberland PRO Mens Helix 6" Waterproof Safety Toe
With a TiTAN alloy toe box and superior lightweight feel, the Timberland PRO Mens Helix 6" Waterproof Safety Toe Boot is designed to allow you to work harder and longer preventing any fatigue you may encounter. This boot has excellent traction and grip allowing you to stay grounded to almost any surface out there.
If you find yourself working in wet situations at work a fair bit, not to worry, this boot is fully waterproof to help keep your feet comfortable and dry. However, this design of boot does come in a non-waterproof option as well for less money.
You do not have to worry about getting injured either, this boot can withstand just as much as a steel toe work boot, making it a very good purchase for anyone out there looking to replace their steel toe boot for composite toe boots.
3. Thorogood Men’s Heritage 8 Inch Safety Toe Boot
Another classic from Thorogood, the Men’s Heritage 8 Inch Safety Toe Boot uses a high-quality leather with a very comfortable insole. Fiberglass shanks and rubber outsole combined with the shock resistant footbed will give you some of the best traction in the business on every type of terrain out there.
This boot is very durable, designed to handle all types of beatings, the Thorogood Men’s Heritage 8 Inch Safety Toe Boot's safety toe box will protect your feet, minus the heavy and bulky weight and feel of a steel toe boot.
Thorogood has always had a prestige reputation when it comes to the work boot world. The company and its quality always back up their product with excellence. You will not be disappointed with any Thorogood boot, especially the Men’s Heritage 8 Inch Safety Toe Boot, as it boasts some of the best reviews of any composite toe work boot out there today.
4. Wolverine Men’s Corsair 6″ Work Boot
This work boot from Wolverine is a fine piece of work. It is built to be ready for any tough task. The reinforced padding paired with the sole takes on any heavy banging, along with a top layer immune to any scrapes or scratches, the The Wolverine Men’s Corsair work boot is a true brute when it comes to composite toe work boots. If you are going to be working in harsh conditions, this is definitely a boot you want to consider.
These boots have gotten very satisfying reviews, especially when it comes to the comfort level and stability. Excellent in both areas, having good quality comfort and stability will allow you to be on your feet longer and perform on a higher level! Not only do these boots perform great, they a have a neat distinct look to them as well. Overall a great work boot.
5. KEEN Utility Men’s Tacoma 6″ Soft Toe Work Boot
If you are looking for a boot for many different types a situations, casual or hard work, lightweight and offer exceptional protection, then do not look past the the KEEN Utility Men’s Tacoma 6 inch Soft Toe Work Boot. Keen has designed a boot to take you wherever your adventures take you and to do whatever it is need done along with it. The safety toe box is extra big and provides ample protection for every single digit hiding underneath those composite toe caps.
Comfort and stability do not lack in this boot. Customers have raved about the superior comfort the KEEN Utility Tacoma offers. Slips and falls will be no longer existent either, with an exceptional grip system, you can take these boots on waterfall hikes or on a nice walk on the seawall. An all around boot for whatever the day brings you.
So do not overlook the composite toe boot. It is a great alternative that is gaining popularity rapidly. I hope that this article has given you some insight on certain things to look for and what not too look for, and in the end, made it easier for you to make a decision on what to purchase when you go looking for a new pair of work boots. Steel toe is not always better, get a pair of the best composite toe work boots and be on your way and prevent any visits from EMS Paramedics...
About the Author
I am currently a first responder as a professional career Firefighter. I have many work experiences such as construction and working in the oil patch. I have always enjoyed the outdoors, being active and exploring. Having these work experiences has lead me to wanting to help others find the proper equipment and avoid some of the mistakes I myself have made. I am hoping that these articles help people of all types out there improve their lifestyle and work environment leading eventually to a happier, healthier more satisfied way of life. Take care and cheers!!!